Eustis Estate


In 1892 J.H. Burt & Co. returned to the estate to construct a gate lodge along Canton Avenue, and a wind turbine was installed in 1895 to generate electric power for the house. Later changes to the turbine involved the construction of a stone powerhouse in 1902. Though no plans or letters have been located, these stone buildings resemble others designed by Emerson in the 1890s, though they may also have been designed by an individual working in the office of landscape architect Ernest Bowditch, who remained involved with the development of the estate long after planning the original roads and gardens.

Eustis gatehouse under construction, c. 1892