Eustis Estate

Portsmouth Street Scene

The white house just off center was on the outskirts of town when it was built in 1758. In 1854 when this image was created the house belonged to members of the Lord family who likely commissioned the painting. Today the house is known as the John Paul Jones House, operated by the Portsmouth Historical Society since 1917. The painting has been part of the furnishings of Historic New England’s Rundlet-May House since 1903 when James Rundlet May’s wife Mary Ann Morison inherited it.