The Second Floor Hall
The concept of the open hall continues to the second floor, providing views from the first to the third floor. The Asian-inspired moon window is the central feature of the second-floor hall. It frames a sweeping view down a line of trees leading away from the house. The massive beech tree can be seen as a sapling in nineteenth-century photographs. Heavy portiere curtains can be pulled across the alcove to keep out cold air.
The second-floor hall provided access to four bedrooms, a library, day nursery, and night nursery. Although the principal bed chamber and night nursery both had easy access to bathrooms, only one toilet was located on this floor, tucked away just past the doorway to the right of the moon window. Today, four of the rooms on this floor are used as changing exhibition galleries. The library continues to serve its original use as a place to read, explore, and relax.
The large chair situated along the staircase to the third floor was known to the Eustis family as the “twin seat.” This unusual piece of furniture was commissioned by Mary Hemenway, Edith Eustis’s mother, as a comfortable place for her to read to her grandchildren. Although it was originally located in Mary Hemenway’s Beacon Hill mansion, it was brought here after her death in 1894.
This photo shows Mary Hemenway with her grandsons Fred and Gus Eustis sitting on the twin seat around 1879.
Second Floor Hall, 1932-1935
Second Floor Hall Historic Photo
This photo shows the second floor hall around 1935. Note the “Twin Seat” is located here at this time. Over the stairs to the third floor is a portrait of the twins when they were about four years old.
Historic Builder's Plans: Third FloorView the original builder's plan of the third floor, which is not open to the public
Third Floor Map
This builder’s plan shows the original layout of the third floor. The family spaces consisted of two bed chambers, which were eventually occupied by Fred and Gus Eustis after they became too old to sleep in the Night Nursery, a Billiards Room, and W.E.C. Eustis’s Laboratory. There were several servant bedrooms on the service wing of the third floor, separated from the family space by a door. In the Trunk Room was a 600 gallon tank for holding water that fed the house. The water tank in that location was used until 2016. The third floor is not open to the public.
The Third Floor
The family spaces on the third floor contain a billiard room, two bed chambers, two large storage closets, and W.E.C. Eustis’s laboratory. A doorway leads to the service wing of the house, seamlessly closing off the areas where the domestic staff lived and worked.
This room was labeled as the Billiard Room on the historic builder’s plans. The room also contains a large porch. We do not know if W.E.C. Eustis ever had a billiards table in this room.
Behind each of the large half-round stained glass windows is a hidden attic room lit by exterior windows that provide sunlight to illuminate the stained glass from behind.